Monday, October 11, 2010

Christy Leskovar, Finding the Bad Inn


In her first book, One Night In A Bad Inn (the book she quit her successful career as an engineer to write), Christy Leskovar tells a whopping tale of family intrigue and mayhem.  That book was chosen as a 2007 High Plains Best Book Award finalist.

Now she's written the story behind the story. Finding The Bad Inn chronicles the adventures, joys, and challenges Leskovar encountered during her globe-trotting expeditions to find information about her family and write One Night In A Bad Inn.

Here's an excerpt:

Chapter One

While pondering the murder mystery at the beginning of my book One Night in a Bad Inn, and wondering whether my great-grandmother Sarah was complicit in the fire and that dead body turning up on the ranch, I wrote that how I found out what happened was "enough to fill a volume all its own, and perhaps one day it will."

And now it has.

This is the story of how I found out who started the fire, and how the body got there, and what really happened when my grandfather saved that man in the war, and why my grandmother was sent to an orphanage when she wasn’t an orphan, and so much more, and how I took those answers and wrote them into a book. It turned into quite a detective hunt, an adventure that took me across the globe, including a few misadventures I could have done without. As I discovered clues, pursued leads, followed threads, and was repeatedly dumbfounded by what I unearthed about my own relatives, I felt as if I were living in a novel. Though I had no idea what I would find when I began, I knew from the start that amid the scandals there stood at least one person of impeccable character and tremendous fortitude, an element of redemption giving me a positive reason to venture out into those uncharted waters. Otherwise, I never would have done it.

*     *     *     *     *

Find out more about Christy Leskovar, her writing, and her current book tour at her Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment