Monday, January 30, 2012

Monday Poems: "Night Visit" - by Michael Earl Craig

I'm awakened at 3 a.m. to the sound of an owl.
It takes me a minute to find my glasses.
I press my face to the window.
A silver flash crosses the yard.
It settles into an owl shape on a nearby post.
My nose and eyes are stinging.
A stinging behind my face.
Like some kind of problem behind a billboard.
Why would a man look at an owl and start to cry?
My body is trying to reject something.
I have no idea what that is.
The owl is sitting in the moonlight.
The yard is completely still.

* * * * * *

Michael Earl Craig was born in Dayton, Ohio, in 1970. He earned degrees from the University of Montana and the University of Massachusetts. He is the author of Can you Relax In My House (Fence books, 2002) and Yes, Master (Fence Books, 2006). "Night Visit" was published in his 2010 collection titled, Thin Kimono (Wave Books). Craig is a certified journeyman farrier and lives near Livingston, Montana, where he shoes horses for a living.

No comments:

Post a Comment